Continuing the basement renovation meant rehabbing the second full bathroom – fortunately, all the important elements were there which made it easier to complete. I knew I wanted to do a board and batten on the walls and use travertine in the shower so after that there wasn’t much to decide on except paint color. Since we had some leftover from our bedroom reno, we went with Benjamin Moore Smoke on the top half of the walls and painted the board and batten the same color White Dove which we used through-out the house on the trim. Gavin made all the board and batten trim by hand and installed all of the tile in the shower and I just love how it turned out. We ordered a glass shower door which is in but not installed yet but this way I can share a better picture of the tile work without the door on.
Like many houses built in the 1940’s, our home has only two full bathrooms. Our main bathroom is upstairs on the same floor as our bedrooms and the other full bathroom is in the basement. The bathroom upstairs was tiny so part of our renovation was to enlarge it. Gavin used the space that was occupied by the closet in our nursery (read more about that here) to give us more square footage in our bathroom. We were able to upgrade to a larger vanity which is so nice for us to share the space in the mornings. We left the toilet in the same place but bought a new one, keeping the styling traditional to match the bathtub which is original. The flooring was replaced with marble tile put down in a herringbone pattern and in the shower surround, we went with white subway tiles and a gray Moroccan print accent wall. Gavin also added an overhead rain shower spout and we changed out all the bathtub hardware to chrome fixtures that match the sink faucet. Behind the bathroom door, Gavin had to run a HVAC duct for our air conditioning we recently had installed. He creatively hide it with built in storage cubbies. Check out the before, during & after photos: